Monday, May 14, 2007

Eagle of the Ninth for the big screen!

Saw it in a wee article in today's Glasgow Herald. Director Kevin Macdonald (The Last King of Scotland) wants to make a film adaptation of Rosemary Sutcliff's classic novel. The story's based the disappearance of the infamous Ninth Legion Hispana who, according to legend, marched north into Caledonia some time during the second century and were never seen again. According to legend, that is.

Macdonald wants to film in Scotland, hopefully beginning next year. He's been a fan of the book since childhood, so maybe we'll have the next big labour of love since Peter Jackson filmed Lord of the Rings and King Kong. It's finally convinced me to order the book itself.

Seems the film world has developed an obsession with Roman history, just at the time I've renewed mine. Plans have also been announced to adapt Robert Harris' Pompeii, as well as Memoirs of Hadrian.

Apparently, Antonio Banderas is cast as Hadrian.

See, when I think of Antonio Banderas, I think:

And when I think of Hadrian, I think:

Definitely a new image for him. lol.

'Scuse me, I've got to go squee into my pillow now.

No comments: