Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Scottish Historical Exam

Having just finished The Boar Stone, I started looking about for more books set in ancient Scotland, but only ended up with screeds and screeds of Scottish romance novels. Nothing inherently wrong with that - I'll read anything that sounds good - but eventually they all ended up sounding exactly the same, with Lachlan McLean, the tortured alpha-male laird of Dunglen or some other made-up fief. Which was why it was such a relief - and a laugh - to find The Scottish Historical Exam here.

Very funny, and very good for showing all the most well-known clich├ęs. I had to give a big "lol" to points 11 and 12. Hmm... maybe when I finish with the Roman invasions, I'll start looking into some novels about Clan Campbell. Poor, maligned Clan Campbell. We're not evil. We're just misunderstood. Really.

2 comments:

slpenney said...

Kristen---

Have you read Diana Galbaldon's "Outlander" Series? Big fat books that are wonderful.

Kirsten Campbell said...

I haven't actually, but I keep seeing the name crop up during my search. They sound really good, so I think I might just have a look next time I'm in Waterstone's.