Friday, June 22, 2007

Blast from the past

Wow. Was cleaning out my room today and what should I find under my bed, but the ring binders containing the first completed "novel" wot I rote, and what I'd done of the second in the series. Due mainly to school, and some fanfic projects, and most recently the research for my historical, I hadn't touched the things in at least a year. So, naturally, for nostalgia's sake, I started flipping through them, remembering how I thought I was the absolute shit for completing a novel.

Retrospective rating: (shudder)

For a start - the clichés, dear God, the clichés.

Elves. Yeah.

Videogame logic.

Awful prose. Yeah, I know it's a given since I was fourteen, but it still buggers the mind to think I thought I was writing anything decent. Innocence is bliss.

The blatant evidence of "Mum and Dad are going to be reading this, so I'd better not write anything that might shock them".

The Mary Sue heroine. Granted, I had plans for her in the rest of the series, but in the first one... wow.

Attempts at making up own language. More than one, too. Warning: attempt only if your name is J.R.R Tolkien.

The map had no scale, no logic.


On the other hand, there were a few glimmers of good points:

Though their execution wasn't stellar, the characters (even Mary Sue heroine) had good, solid foundations and I had a fairly good grasp of their psychology for my age.

Hero wasn't a poor farmboy.

Twenty chapters and about two hundred pages is a bit of an achievement for a fourteen-year-old with a short attention span.

Though the plot was hackneyed, the world itself was fairly unique in that it wasn't a faux-medieval Middle-earth clone.

Weirdly enough, the romance subplot was pretty well thought-out, even if it hadn't been fully realised.

I didn't even try to include any "epic" poetry, since I knew full well I can't write it. (Can't even write haiku.)


It was quite a reminiscence. Totally cringeworthy, but it really threw into perspective how much I've grown in the last few years. I've got a long way to go yet, but at least I've managed to get the really godawful stuff out of my system.

1 comment:

Rodrigo said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.