Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Producers

Went to see The Producers today at the King's Theatre. F-ing brilliant, every second of it! Even better than Chicago, which was the last thing I went to see, and which I also loved!

I was a bit apprehensive, since I know the 1968 film almost off by heart, so I was worried I wouldn't find it so funny this time round. Couldn't have been more wrong! I laughed as if I was seeing it for the first time. There was a great atmosphere, too, and the cast didn't hold back at all, even though we went in the afternoon, not to the evening show.

'Course, nothing quite beats the original, but this performance definitely matched the new film, and was maybe even a bit better. Cory English was just outstanding as Max Bialystock, easily as good as Nathan Lane, and I've never seen Joe Pasquale in anything before, but he was great as Leo Bloom. I loved his blue blanket tantrums! :D The rest of the cast were great, too, especially Allan Stewart as Roger DeBris - he was hysterical!

The highlight was, of course, the Springtime for Hitler number. Yay all-singing, all-dancing Nazis! But I still miss L.S.D. "Love power..."/"I lieb ya, baby, I lieb ya!" XD

There was some great interaction with the audience, too, and with the sign language guy at the side of the stage. Just added to the whole experience!

No comments: