Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I'm back!

Well, my exams are over! There were only two after all - the first Archaeology module won't be tested till the end of this semester - but the build-up was excruciating. I'm sure some of my other uni-related posts have conveyed very clearly that when it comes to all things academic, I'm a nervous wreck. I was on the verge of tears on Sunday night, before my Celtic exam, convinced I was going to fail. It wasn't as bad as all that, after all, though I did managed to forget most of the quotes I'd made a point of revising on Sunday. Isn't that always the way? >:(

Finished off with Latin this afternoon. Went to pieces over that, of course. You should've seen me sitting in a café in Buchanan Galleries at lunchtime, freaking out because I'd not properly revised third declension adjectives.

Needless to say, not a sodding one turned up in the exam.

It was actually quite a good exam, I actually managed to keep my head during it, and I hope I've managed to rack up some marks. I finished with a good half-hour to go, so I also got plenty of time to check over my answers. I wasn't the only one, either.

It was good to meet up with my friends again, now that they're back up from England.

Oh, and my books for this semester are coming in now. For Celtic Civ. I have to read History of Wales, Early Medieval Ireland, Picts, Gaels and Scots (which I've read anyway), The Mabinogion, and Early Irish Myths and Sagas. Best reading list ever, lol!

6 comments:

Crystal said...

Glad your back and made it through the exams. Your books for the semester do look pretty good! I think you may have to share your thought on them!! Early Irish Myths and Sagas sounds like a really good book. Have a good evening sweet;)

Gabriele C. said...

though I did manage to forget most of the quotes I'd made a point of revising on Sunday

That's why I never bothered to learn anything by heart. I firmly believed it would crawl out of some corner of my brain where I stuffed it without realising the moment I needed it. Worked most of the time, too. :)

Jack Dixon said...

Hi, Kirsten. I'm back too, sort of. For the moment, anyway. You do tend to over-worry those exams, don't you? :)

Has The Tain been part of your required reading, or will it be?

Crystal said...

Hope you had a good week and did well on all exams;0) Have a wonderful weekend sweet!!

Celedë Anthaas said...

Ooooh, I'm jealous of your reading list! And The Tain is great... :)

Kirsten Campbell said...

Crystal - Thanks! Yes, I'm really looking forward to digging into my list! :D (I wonder how many subjects you can say that of...)

Gabriele - I noticed that, too. I was remembering things I hadn't even remembered remembering. ;) Just those blasted quotes. I could remember the points each author made, just not in their own words.

Jack - Welcome back! Yes, I'm a worrier. (guilty grin) The Tain wasn't listed on my prescribed reading, but I think I might just pick up a copy for the hell of it. To... you know... consolidate my knowledge and all that... (curls up at bedtime with hot chocolate and course books)

Celedë - Yes, it's a good list, isn't it? :) I don't think it'll take too much willpower to get through them. The essay questions for the semester are also pretty interesting, too.

I'm picking up a copy of the Tain. To my shame, I haven't actually read any of the mediaeval Irish and Welsh lit. I know all the stories and who's who, but not actually read them. I suppose this course will give me the chance to remedy that!