Sunday, April 13, 2008

Back to life, back to reality.

Holy moly, it's been a while, hasn't it? Been a rather unsettled week or so over here, what with the holidays ending and uni starting again. Only a month and a half till I finish first year. Where has the time gone? It feels like yesterday I could barely wait for it to start.

'Course, that means that it's only a month till my first exam omgwtf.

Ahem.

I spent the last few days of the hols doing work that I really shouldn't have put off for so long but did anyway, and the end result was me having to pull yet another all-nighter on Monday in order to get my Archaeology essay finished off. I will be seeing the Loch Glashan crannog in my nightmares for many months to come. >.<

Anyway, I must have fallen asleep mid-bibliography, 'cause the next thing I knew, it was eight in the morning, and I hadn't had my bath, or got the essay polished off (heh!) or printed. By the time I'd got all that done, I'd missed my bus so I had to fork out for a taxi. Now, I don't like doing that at the best of times, since a taxi into town from my bit usually costs me a wad o' money I don't really have. Ah, the joys of being a jobless student. :) But I shell out and book it anyway.

After my rather draining morning (the printer naturally decided to play up when I was trying to get the essay printed), I actually got a nice surprise. I'm sitting in the back of the taxi, numbering the pages of my essay, and the driver asks me what I'm doing at uni. So I tell him I'm doing archaeology, and also mention I'm going down to Vindolanda (less than two months now!!). "Aaw," he says, "I'd love to do something like that." He says he loves watching all the archaeology programmes, and I agree, saying I'm in it for the Roman stuff. From there, we had a long, long, geeky natter about the Antonine Wall, the invasions of Scotland in general, Mons Graupius and Agricola, the Teutoburg Forest, the siege of Masada, Roman army tactics vs. Caledonian downhill charging, redcoat tactics at Culloden vs. Scottish downhill charging, the Roman army in Britain, the Ninth Legion, and David Gemmell. It was great, and he seemed as glad as me to have someone to talk to about it all. :)

That kept me in a good mood for the rest of the day, which is just as well, as I might well have been in a terrible one otherwise. Aside from general essay-related stress, I was expecting a message which never came. I'd met a friend from school on the bus home on Monday, who's at college in Wales, and we got talking. He mentioned he was meeting up with another friend on Tuesday night, and invited me along too, said he'd give me a call later that evening. Well, he never did. Not on Monday night, and not on Tuesday either. By the time I came out of my Archaeology lab at four, I decided it obviously wasn't happening. I got a bit annoyed - honestly, if you don't want me there, don't invite me in the first place - but I shrugged it off and decided I wasn't going to lose any sleep over it.

Hahaha. I don't know what the hell happened, but I didn't lose any sleep on Tuesday night. I dozed off about half six when I got home - naturally enough, seeing as I'd had - what? - about two hours sleep the previous night. But somehow I still managed to sleep all evening - with a barely remembered half hour up for tea, all night, and well into the next morning. I think it was about nine when I woke up on Wednesday. And the thing is, I did it again on Thursday. Not quite on the same scale, but I still managed to oversleep. It's a bit odd, seeing as I'm usually the sort of person who can function perfectly on about three hours of sleep. I think I might book myself in for a blood test; I was quite anaemic in school, and as a result constantly exhausted. Can't be bothered with that again.

Of course, however, Mum and Dad got all worried, asking me constantly if I was all right. I felt a bit blegh on Thursday night and mentioned this to my dad. Big mistake. I love my dad and we're close as anything, but having a father-daughter chat with him is often a frustrating experience. Suffice it to say, he's a psychoanalyst, and Freudian at that, so even when I say truthfully that nothing's bothering me, he's convinced I'm repressing something. And he keeps picking at it - "Are you sure?" - in this not-convinced-at-all voice, until I get exasperated, which just encourages him to pick at it all the more. (headdesk)

But enough of my moaning. Good news is, Tuesday's archaeology lab was great - it involved reconstructing a hunting scene from Palaeolithic Germany based on the deer bones and the topography. And in Latin we've moved on to Catullus' poetry. We've been told we're not actually doing any of the ahem invective (even though we've already translated part of Number 16, heheheh), so we got our first sparrow poem. Yaaaay. Me and my friends had a laugh trying to work out whether his girlfriend kept her pet sparrow in her lap, her bosom, her "inmost part", or her asylum. We decided "lap" was probably the most likely. ;)

And this Tuesday I have my last Celtic essay to hand in, and my last Latin test. Then it's the best part of a month just to study for the exams, which should be fairly straightforward, if I start at a reasonable time.

Oh, and btw, watch The Last Legion, all of you! I got it out of Blockbusters purely for the MST3K value, which is the only way to go. I couldn't even work up any righteous geeky indignance at the myriad historical inaccuracies because I was too busy "lol"ing. Still can't quite get my head around the thought of Excalibur, sword of the just, being kept safe in Emperor Tiberius' playboy villa on Capri! Or the fact that you find Excalibur in said playboy villa by poking Julius Caesar in the eyes. Roflol.

Credit where credit's due, though. There was a lovely little moment where the filmmakers tried to pretend they'd actually done some research by having the "legionaries" form testudo during the final battle. (gigglesnort)

Well, I'd better go. Hopefully normal blogging services will be resumed this week. I'm missing you all.

5 comments:

Adrian said...

I have found 2 interesting sides. You should have a look at them. I think that you found them interesting. On I READ I LIKE I have 2 new sides. "Playwithlight" and "Halcyon Realms". I wish you a lot of success with your exam.

Gabriele C. said...

Handing in essays two seconds before deadline - I'm so with you on that; I did it all the time.

Gosh, I wish they'd give Freud a rest and move on to something else than repressed sexuality. He was a tad obsessed with that. ;)

And yay for meeting other archaeology and Roman times geeks.

Gabriele C. said...

Btw, here's a History Spork of The Last Legion. They did a King Arthur one some time ago as well.

Crystal said...

LOLOL!! Oh I love it! I actually just bought that movie! Now i'm definitely going to have to see it!

As for the guy friend that was supose to call and didn't...HIS LOSS!!! Prick;o)

Have you gone to the doctor yet or are you feeling better now? TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!!!

Kirsten Campbell said...

Adrian - Thanks, I'll take a look.

Gabriele - Big yay! :)

Doesn't seem to matter how far ahead I plan and get the reading together; I've been up just about all night with every essay so far. :(

Totally with you on the Freud. Maybe, sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. And maybe, Catullus scholars, a sparrow is just a sparrow, lol!

And thanks for the link. I think I've already seen the Last Legion one, and my reaction to the "history" was pretty much the same as that. Once I'd stopped laughing, that is!

Crystal - Lol, be sure to let me know what you thought of it. :)

I'm feeling better now, thanks. :)