Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I challenge... er... myself.



I thought, since I'm just bursting with inspiration after my time at Vindolanda, and since I've really got nothing to do all July, I'd set myself a writing target. I've not been writing much since my exams, so I thought I'd go for something which would make up for that and kick-start The Ancestor Crown into the exciting stuff.

I've decided to aim for 50,000 words, the target count for NaNoWriMo. (Of course, in July I've got one day more than NaNo participants.) I hope to meet it by midnight, July 31. That averages out at 1613 words per day (once I've rounded up, that is).

Today's word count: 1648.

Let's hope I can keep it up. Wish me luck!

8 comments:

K.A. Denby said...

I wish I knew what the hell you are talking about! Ignorance is not always bliss!

Kirsten Campbell said...

D'you mean NaNoWriMo? Shame on you! :)

It's National Novel Writing Month (November), where the idea is to write 50,000 words by midnight, November 30. I'm just setting myself the same target for July.

That clear things up?

Gabriele C. said...

Lol, my motto is: Proudly Failing Nano Since 2003.

Good luck with you endeavour. I wish I could write faster, but it's not going to be.

Oh, and we wants snippetsss, preciouss. :)

Kirsten Campbell said...

I doubt I'll meet it either, Gabriele. I am an obsessive self-editor.

Snippets? You're sure? This month is going to be about quantity, not quality. ;)

Crystal said...

Good luck sweet! I know you got all those words in that head of yours PLUS some!!!!

Smarty said...

Quantity, not quality - that's right. It's easier to add quality to the quantity afterwards than writing quality very slowly until you have quantity (great, now I've confused myself).

Good luck with the writing! Hope you manage the 50k without ufos and seventeen people called Bob ;)

Kirsten Campbell said...

Thanks, Crystal. :)

Smarty - Don't worry, I understood you. ;) Which either means you were lucid, or we just have the same odd minds.

I dunno... a UFO sounds helluva useful right now. Could save me trying to work out how long a curragh trip from Loch Linnhe to Loch Ryan would take. Do you think Calgacus would be amenable to a UFO trip after that last one you arranged for him? ;)

Gabriele C. said...

Well, he still tries to make his friends believe that abducted by an alien story.