Saturday, October 4, 2008

Atchoo.

Yeah, I have a cold. It sucks. My head feels like fluff, and I can't just curl up in bed 'cause I have work to do. Uni's keeping me busy, so I haven't been online as much as I'd like. :(

It's official: Cicero was a prat. I'm not surprised they had him murdered. Anything to shut him up. In the first letter we were set to translate, he spends half of it in high dudgeon because one of the consuls didn't ask him his opinion in the Senate first. He was only second. Shock bloody horror. And what with him having saved the republic single-handedly. Wash, rinse, repeat. Honestly, I was reaching the point (and I don't think I was the only one) where I was biting back a cry of, "Oh, just get over yourself, will you?!"

Seriously, I can't wait till we're done with Cicero and onto the letters of Pliny the Younger. At least he acknowledged that there were other people in the world apart from him. ;)

And NaNo's less than a month away now! Eep - I can't wait! Got a few bits of research to do before November starts - mostly about London, since a few chapters take place there, and other minutiae. And I think I need to start compiling a serious family tree. (sighs)

It's - what? - only October 4. Aargh, I can't wait! Bring it on, November!

See you later. I'm away to peruse various blogs and websites... then I think I'll go to bed. I'm feeling seriously crap. Night!

5 comments:

Gabriele C. said...

Cicero is a jerk and his prose sucks. :)

Smarty said...

Want me to brutally murder him? :D

You can chose between Cicero:
- dying in a freak trombone accident
- murdered by kung fu hamsters
- killed by ninjas
- killed in the killer tomato revolt
- killed by the evil spork of doom

Kirsten Campbell said...

Well said, Gabriele!

Smarty, I think having him killed in the killer tomato revolt would be the best one. Let's see him save the republic from that one, hah! >:)

K.A. Denby said...

I saw a really good series on History Channel International the other day. It was called Terry Jones' Barbarian Lives (yes Terry Jones of Monty Python fame), and the whole series basically questioned the accepted Roman history of Europe's barbarian tribes. The first series was about the early Celts. Anyway, I read that it was made for BBC 2 back in 2006, so you may have seen it already. New to me though. Recorded it, and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Anyway, it made me think of you and your Romanophile notions!

Kirsten Campbell said...

Well, my love of Romans isn't quite all-encompassing. *glares at Cicero*

Yeah, I've seen Barbarians. I liked it, but if I remember there was a definite tendency to sweep any nasty bits of the "barbarian" cultures under the carpet a bit, especially the one about Alaric and the Goths. I liked the Celt one, though. That causeway in Ireland is quite something, innit? :)