Sunday, October 26, 2008

The good, the bad, and the ugly.

The news:

Thursday's Latin test... did not go well. (shrugs) There wasn't much hope of me passing it, but it's still a bit disappointing.

On the other hand, only one Cicero letter left to do! Woo-hoo! We do, however, have to translate part of his godawful Catiline speech (why God why are we being made to prepare "unseen" translations? Doesn't that render the very word "unseen" moot?). Then, finally, we can move onto Pliny.

I've managed to get my flatmates hooked on Cadfael. Three of us are Hugh Beringar fangirls. We're not odd. At all.

On a similar note, I'm well and truly addicted to historical whodunnits. I got one from Waterstone's the other day which was set in medieval Glasgow. No way I could resist that. :) It's called The Harper's Quine, by Pat McIntosh. I've not started it yet, but I'm all set to dive in tonight! :) Also waiting on Dark North by Gillian Bradshaw to arrive with those books I ordered for uni. It's not a whodunnit, but it is set during the Severan campaigns in northern Britain. :)

Talking of which, Uncle Gaius from the Severan novel has established himself as a main character. So it's Uncle Gaius no longer, rather Gaius Cocceius Marcellus, optio of the century of Gavilius, Legio II Parthica. Put in charge of the century when Gavilius is suddenly killed, helping invade his mother's homeland, and fighting against his nephew, the lad he practically helped his sister raise after her husband died.

Why do they do this to me?!

The Archaeology section in the uni library is also a treasure trove. I was looking - rather unsuccessfully - for some books about Iron Age Hallstatt culture - my essay subject. Most of the books on the Iron Age in Germany and Austria, however, are in German, and since I only did half of Higher German, I don't think they'll be of much help. I did find the Roman Britain section, however, which... er... distracted me from my search. They have books on Roman London! :) As for Hallstatt, I've still got my books and notes from first year Celtic Civ., so I should be okay. And Sara's doing Level 1 Celtic Civ. this year, so I can get links to decent websites from her.

And it's now only six days till NaNo! Woot! I'm dying to get started! I'd better start stocking up on snacks. Chocolate, hot chocolate, lemonade, grapes and tangerines all help me write... :)

Tomorrow night is also the first meet for the Glasgow NaNoers, so I'll be going along. Can't wait.

Also have my Hallowe'en costume to get together. I'm going as one of the Furies of Mona. So I'll need wild hair (well, I already have that, lol!), a black robe, blue face-paint, and a lot of fake blood. >:) Sara's going as a vampire - with plenty of body glitter. And if you don't get the joke - well - you're the lucky one.

Ooh, I love Hallowe'en, as much as Christmas. >:) It's the dookin for apples I like best. Also have to get our Hallowe'en movies together. I've already got Sleepy Hollow - the Tim Burton version - and I want to get Hocus Pocus, too. :D

I should have a proper post up soon, something Hallowe'en/Samhain related. I don't know what, but I've got a few ghoulish ideas. Mwahaha.

1 comment:

Gabriele C. said...

I'm a Hugh Berengar fan, too.

And I get the glitter thing despite not having read the books. Proof that I hang around way to many forums. :)

Sorry about the Latin, but I never did well in that language, too, which is a pity. Oh, and if you want more whodunnits, try David Wishart, he's got some Roman ones.