Sunday, August 2, 2009

A mixed bag

I'm so sorry for not updating this thing all month! We've had some trouble trying to get our BT account set up in the new place, and we've still not got Internet yet, so I'm lugging my laptop to the university library in order to get the Net at the moment.

In other words, this is another non-blog. It sucks, really. I think the only times I've really blogged this year are to explain why I haven't been blogging. This last month has been no different. Stuff's been happening, and I've not really had the Internet, or the will, to blog. :(

It's been a mixed bag, as I've said. My maternal grandfather, Kenneth MacLeod, passed away two weeks ago. I'm doing better than I was when my Granda Campbell passed away back in October. I never really knew my Granda MacLeod very well, but it's still very sad. He went peacefully, though, and I'm glad for that. I'm also glad my mum and my gran have been able to stay strong through it.

One of my flatmates is also pissing me off majorly at the moment. I don't want to get started, since she's been giving me a big enough headache already, but basically she seems to be making it her business to be as thoughtless, inconsiderate, and bloody infuriating as she possibly can be. It's just little to medium things, but they are coalescing into a mountain of irritants. My other flatmate feels the same way, though, so I'm glad it's not just me.

In better news, I've passed my exams! So that's me through to Honours. I'll be doing Joint Archaeology and Celtic Studies, and I can't freaking wait! Our field school also begins this month, and tomorrow I'll be away to Forteviot in Perthshire with the uni to spend the next three weeks learning how to excavate properly/survey/etc. The big excavation site seems to be the Neolithic enclosure(s?), but there's also surveying of other archaeological features, so it should be very fun, and very interesting! I hope I can keep you all updated on it, but I have no idea if we'll have Internet access at the place we're staying. If not, I'll give you a full update after I get back on the 23rd. And the Vindolanda report. I haven't forgotten about that, either.

So... see you when I see you, I guess!

4 comments:

Harry said...

Glad to see the blog living again! Sorry to hear the sad news -- and the annoying roomie news. Here's hoping the field school is loads of fun; will love to see what your time at Vindo was like. I finally got back a month ago. Not long enough to dig, but long enough to see friends, explore, and get the appetite -seriously- whetted for next summer.

Jack Dixon said...

Hey, Kirsten. I'm here to apologize, too, for not being around. I've also spent most of my time online explaining why I'm not online much. The writing's been going very well on Number Two, though, so I'm really pleased with that. I've got 102,000 words and plugging away, even after deleting nearly 30,000 words that I decided were mostly crap. It's coming together nicely. I feel a lot more comfortable writing now than I did when I was working on The Pict, and I'm thinking Number Two will be far better than that. Hoping for a Christmas release.

I'm so sorry to hear about yet another loss. Give my best to your ma. I hope the family's well.

Kristopher A. Denby said...

It gets hard sometimes to blog and have a life. We bought a house a few months back, and with all of the moving, packing, unpacking, and renovating I could hardly find the energy or time to scratch together anything meaningful to say. Needless to say, I'm glad that's behind me. The blog suffered because of it, and I think I lost some readers, but such is life.

Good luck and don't take any shit from inconsiderate roomies. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. Stay strong and keep writing when you have time!

mary li said...

After reading your post, I am looking forward to this. Your post is particular useful, plz keep going. Why not buying runescape accounts to enjoy more fun?